TEAM DESTINY

TEAM DESTINY

6,240 POINTS

TEAM YES! YES! YES!

TEAM DESTINY

7,785 POINTS

TWEEZ FAMILY

TWEEZ FAMILY

7,120POINTS

TEAM TIGER MASK

TEAM TIGER MASK

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

“Why Fantasy Wrestling,” you ask? Well…Why Not!?

Over the years, I've participated in several Fantasy sport events; baseball, basketball and football. I have done well in all, especially football. I’m a lifelong wrestling fan. Some of my fondest memories of growing up with my little brother are of the countless hours we spent watching old WWF video tapes. I was even fortunate enough to witness the LEGENDARY ECW match between Bam Bam and Taz where they crashed through the ramp. ECW Heatwave 1998, in Dayton, Ohio… good times.

I’ve always wondered what a fantasy wrestling league would be like. A few months ago, I was entertained and inspired by Pro Wrestling Report’s fantasy draft, PWRDRAFT. The PWRDRAFT started after Wrestlemaina 27. I was instantly hooked. For three weeks straight it was all I talked. Eventually I started campaigning to convince my friends and fellow wrestling fans to start our own Fantasy Wrestling League. After much planning, debating, arguing and compromising we all came to an agreement. We set the rules, our draft stipulations and the draft date.

The only wildcard in my drafting strategy was where I would be picking. The day of the draft we picked numbers out of a hat to dictate the order. I was initially pretty disappointed by having to pick 3rd. I really wanted Cena on my team and I just knew he would not be available by the 3rd pick. I had to wait while Danny (Team Destiny) and Derek (Bation’s Boogers) picked before me. I figured that picking third, I was going to get Alberto Del Rio. Not a bad pick, after all he did win the Royal Rumble. History dictates that he will wear the WWE or World Heavyweight Title at some point.

Much to my surprise, Danny picked Del Rio first. Next was Derek, who is a HUGE Cena Hater. When the “Cena Sucks” chants start at our local, Nationwide Arena, he’s one of the guys chanting. Orton was his best pick to not compromise his wrestling fan morals by picking Cena. As luck would have it, I got Cena with the 3rd pick. I was so excited! I knew he was going to be the top guy this year with the most points.

Robbie finished out the first round with the 4th pick. He made a somewhat surprising choice by going with CM Punk. At that point, I started thinking about who I could get in the 2nd round. It would all depend on Robbie's 2nd round pick. It’s important to note that we did our draft order in a 1-4, 4-1 rotating order.  Considering the MIZ was still available, I was hoping for Wade Barrett. To the amazement of everyone, Robbie picked Christian as his 2nd round pick. Thanks again to Lady Luck, I got the Miz. He was the WWE champ at the time. This guaranteed me at least one PPV main event with the MIZ either defending his title or attempting to regain it in a rematch.

At that point, I was pretty happy. In Fantasy Football Drafts I’ve always tried to get a WR and QB from the same team. You can double up on points with a touchdown pass if you have both guys. I tried to do the same thing in the MOFW draft. It worked out as I was able to pick up Big Show and Kane, the current WWE Tag Team Champs, with my 3rd and 4th draft picks

We are now just a few days away from WWE’s Over the Limit PPV. I have never been more excited for a fantasy league. I have always loved WWE and now I find myself loving it even more. My buddies,  who are like most wrestling fans, are quick to criticize the WWE.  They have been devoted to WWE televised events over past few weeks.  I have to agree with Danny’s previous post, we started MOFW with the intent of it being larger than just the four founding fathers.

If you love WWE/Wrestling I’d suggest starting your own Fantasy Wrestling Draft, especially if you enjoy fantasy sports. Shoot us an email for more details on how we got things started. Pull the rules off our site to revise and start your own league. Send us your thoughts and comments.

Once again, special thanks to the best wrestling Radio show, TV show and Wrestling Website... Pro Wrestling Report. Thanks for the inspiration.

-Josh
Tweez Family

No comments:

Post a Comment